Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Big emotions for such little people (part 1)

I'd just like to start by saying that Ethan has taught me so many things about myself. Life is really a classroom and nothing challenges a person more than parenting - it really makes you HAVE to grow up. There are times when I wonder who's acting more like a child between the two of us, lol!

Anyways, the first year of Ethan's life was easy. I would even go as far as to say that he probably cried 30 minutes in total over his first whole year. I had always practiced attachment parenting with him and responded immediately to his cries and needs, so eventually, he was just a happy baby who knew his mommy was there to help no matter what.

Then the two's started approaching. Parenting became more challenging. Tempers were stretched easier from both sides. He appeared to be challenging me more, more naughty even. I started doubting myself and my gentle style of parenting. I even considered smacking (and we'll talk about that one later)!

We all have our bad days, but when parenting becomes consistently frustrating then I reckon its time to reassess techniques. Your current parenting style is obviously not yielding the kind of results you were looking for. And Ethan was also frustrated with my reaction to him, which made for added tension.

So I asked God for wisdom, and once again He was so faithful to point me back in the right direction. I found some amazing resources about peaceful parenting a toddler. Babies are pretty easy if their bellies are full, nappies are clean and they are well rested. Toddlers need lots of patience, empathy and redirection!

I will share the amazing practical tips that changed my outlook and life to a degree, in the next post.

For now let me just say that I can't remember the last time ethan has had a tantrum. I enjoy him and parenting every moment. He trusts me and is eager to please. It is such a blessing! Obviously we have some frustrated moments at times, but I have been equiped with the knowledge to turn it around quickly and restore peace.

I will share some of what I've learned soon! Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment